Full-Day Wine Lover Wander Private Connoisseur Tasting Tour from Cape Town
This private tour of the Stellenbosch and Franschhoek Winelands region near Cape Town will entice you to become the area's biggest fan. Your private guide will introduce you to the top viticulture spots to visit four acclaimed estates and sample their finest wines. Each estate provides an exquisite backdrop of manicured vineyards cradled by soaring mountain ranges. The wine tastings are included in the tour price and will be provided by some of the legendary wine farms in the South African Winelands, including Kanonkop Wine, Eikehof, Haute Cabrière and Rust en Vrede wine estates.
What's included :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Local English-speaking professional tour guide
- Wine tastings
- 1x Bottled water
- Entry/Admission - Kanonkop Wine Estate
- Entry/Admission - Eikehof
- Entry/Admission - Haute Cabriere
- Entry/Admission - Rust en Vrede Tasting Room
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Entry/Admission - Franschhoek Motor Museum
Stop At: Kanonkop Wine Estate, Kanonkop Wine estate, R44, Elsenburg, Stellenbosch 7607 South Africa
You'll meet your guide at your hotel or accommodation in Cape Town at 9am, and will then set off in an air-conditioned minivan to begin a full-day tour of the Stellenbosch Winelands.
You'll arrive at Kanonkop Wine Estate, which is situated at the foothills of the Simonsberg Mountains. Experience their full-bodied, top quality reds during a six-wine-tasting. Celebrate their award-winning Pinotage and Cabernet Sauvignon wines surrounded by the estate’s investment gallery in one of the oak maturation cellars.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Eikehof La-Motte, Franschhoek 7690 South Africa
Travel towards Franschhoek and stop at Eikehof. Nestled in the shade of lush green old oak trees, this family-owned winery has belonged to the Malherbe family since 1903. Today, Francois Malherbe is the fourth generation of family winemakers and still makes wines in the very cellar that his great-grandfather did. The name “Eike" means “oak” and wine-tasting is usually done under the shade of the majestic Old Oaks. You can taste five of Eikehof’s best varietals: Semillon, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Merlot, Shiraz or Cabernet Sauvignon.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Haute Cabriere, Lambrechts Road, Franschhoek 7690 South Africa
Your next stop is Haute Cabriere, which offers exquisite views across the Franschhoek Valley. Their tasting room, situated adjacent to the Cellar Restaurant, offers a unique wine-tasting ‘theatre’ experience in an underground auditorium within the Pinot Noir barrel maturation cellar. The intimate journey through Haute Cabrière’s history and wine philosophy continues with a cellar tour and sampling of five wines; including the remarkable Chardonnay Pinot Noir and Pierre Jourdan Cap Classique. If you’re lucky, you’ll see the wine master use their famed French cavalry sabre to open bottle after bottle, adding dramatic flair to this exceptional tasting adventure.
If you start to feel peckish, opt to visit gourmet restaurants in Franschhoek, known as the culinary capital of South Africa or have lunch at the estate’s cellar restaurant – which is built into the side of the Franschhoek Mountain. (Optional food pairings or meals will be at your own expense.)
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Franschhoek Motor Museum, R45 L'Ormarins, Franschhoek 7690 South Africa
During your free time at lunch, you’ll have time to soak up the history of the French Huguenots who arrived in the Seventeenth Century, shop for knick-knacks and bric-a-brac along the main street or savour a charcuterie plate and tasty local creations. For an extra historic flair you could choose to replace one wine tasting with a visit to the spectacular Franschhoek Motor Museum, home to an array of auto-classics enough to impress any motor-maniac. Tour the expansive de-humidified halls as you marvel over the authentic presented vehicles, ranging from bicycles to Formula 1 cars.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Rust en Vrede Tasting Room, Stellenbosch 7599 South Africa, Stellenbosch 7600 South Africa
Next, you’ll visit Rust en Vrede – a 321-year-old estate specializing in producing bold red wines. Enjoy a master tasting of seven of the estate’s wines while surrounded by fine Cape Dutch architecture. Rust-en-Vrede produced the first South African red wine nominated for the Top 100 Wines of the World, and former president Nelson Mandela chose to serve their wine at his Nobel Peace Prize Dinner.
After your master tasting, you'll travel back to Cape Town to reach your hotel by 5pm. The drive, with its views of Table Mountain on the horizon, is a fitting way to end a tour in the Cape’s Winelands.
Please note: The wine estates visited are subject to change without notice on the day of your tour.
Duration: 1 hour
Pass By: Africa Select Journeys, 13a Gardner Williams Ave Paardevlei, Cape Town Central 7710 South Africa
- This private tour will run exclusively run for you. The itinerary is flexible and can be tailored to spend more time at the tour’s highlights that interest you the most or swop for alternative options. This is a private tour running exclusively for you or your group.
- Do contact us during of after the booking process to let us know if you would prefer any changes to the tour and we can suggest an updated itinerary and cost estimate if there are any additional charges.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Confirmation need to be received after booking request
- Must be 18 years and older for wine tasting
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Wine tasting or wine pairings are not included for kids under the legal drinking age of 18 years.
- All meals and additional drinks are excluded and paid for separately.
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- This tour will adhere to the TOURISM INDUSTRY STANDARD COVID-19 SAFE PROTOCOLS during the time of the pandemic as prescribed by TBCSA aligned with the latest World Health Organisation (WHO) guidelines. The protocols will be updated on an on-going basis in line with pandemic status in South Africa.