Bo-Kaap: Walk with a local
We are descendants from the slaves brought to the Cape by the early Dutch settlers to Bo-Kaap, & feel connected to the rich history of the area. It's this deep love that fuels our desire to share with you this beautiful and intricately woven culture that is unmatched anywhere in the world. As residents and qualified tour guides with many years' experience, we will show you Bo-Kaap beyond the postcard pictures.
What's included :
What's excluded :
Stop At: Bo-kaap, Cape Town Central South Africa
Bo-Kaap is a beautiful, quaint, and colourful suburb that nestles at the foot of Signal Hill in the City Bowl of Cape Town. Its history however is steeped in Slavery and it is also known as the ‘ Birthplace of Islam’ in the Cape. Enslaved people, artisans and political exiles were brought here from Africa, India, Sri Lanka, Indonesia and Malaysia amongst other places.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Wale Street, Wale St, Cape Town City Centre, Cape Town, 8001, South Africa
We will meet at 71 Wale Street for an introduction to the area, providing an overview of the history of Cape Town and Bo-Kaap.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Atlas Trading Co., 104 Wale St, Schotsche Kloof, Cape Town, 8001, South Africa
We then stop at Cape Town’s famed spice shop Atlas, where you will smell the heady aromas of spices used in everyday Cape Malay cooking. These are the same spices used by slaves as an expression of freedom in their ‘masters’ kitchens.
Duration: 10 minutes
Departure Point :71 Wale St, Schotsche Kloof, Cape Town, 8001, South Africa
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms